Monday, September 16, 2019

Interview #2: Contracted by NASA

I conducted my second interview with Mrs. Bettina. Mrs. Bettina’s role at NASA is very different from that of my first interviewee, Mrs. Hawkins. Mrs. Bettina is contracted to work on NASA’s new Space Launch System. I was specifically interested in how the experiences of these two women differed both in their “journey to NASA” and in their current experiences as Black women working at NASA. Below is a transcription of some of my interview with Mrs. Bettina. 

Q: How did you get to the position you’re in now? 
A: After receiving my master's degree in mechanical engineering, I started working as a structures engineer at Pratt & Whitney. I worked on developing engines for joint strike fighter and learned a ton. One the day-to-day basis I conducted lots of engine tests and worked around 15 hours a day. Good thing I wasn’t married yet and didn’t have kids. When I did get married, I stayed a Pratt and Whitney for another two and a half years. I then went to work at Lockheed Martin as a load engineer. I loved this job! My responsibility was to make sure that the plane wasn’t overloaded at any time of the flight. I don’t know if other people have the same kind of experience, but when you're in marriage to me it seems like one spouse is going to exceed and one is going to take a backseat. I decided to take a backseat and had my child. My husband did very well, and I did well at Lockheed as well but I liked being a mom. Then we decided to move from Atlanta to Alabama to be closer to family. Huntsville is a hidden jewel for engineers specifically black engineers. I am now working as a contractor for NASA and we’ve been for thirteen years and I don’t see us leaving here because of opportunities. One of the top growing cities for engineers. 

Q: What does your day-to-day schedule look like in your current position?
A: Okay, so where I am now I’m a Systems Safety Engineer. I started here as a Systems Engineer working on the loads panel but with the Space Launch System, I’m a Systems Safety Engineer where we’re trying to foresee any issues that the system may have and we try to mitigate those. So my job on a daily basis is just reviewing documents, hazard reports, risk reports and going to meetings. 

Q: Could you speak on how your gender and race have influenced your work, whether that be through schooling or currently at NASA?
A: I received both of my degrees from Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Alabama. It’s a historically Black university (HBCU), so I didn’t have to worry about being the only black person in classes or anything. Why did I go into mechanical engineering? I don’t know. I knew I loved science and math. When I graduated from high school, I wasn't a very driven person, and I didn’t know what I wanted to do. So my mom told me you're going into this pre-engineering program at Tuskegee and I was like “okay”. That summer I discovered I liked engineering. I am naturally an artsy person so I love drawing. Mechanical engineering cultivated that as well so it was the best of both worlds. When you look at a mechanical drawing you have to visualize it in 3D and visualize what the system looks like. It was natural for me. My dad used to tell me “you know more about a car then your brother”. I think he saw that in me as well. That’s how I landed in mechanical engineering. I have enjoyed it has been a great experience for me. I have been to places that people haven't been. Gotten to see projects through. At work, to me NASA, the higher-ups have laid the ground for people like me. 

Q: Are there a lot of black women that you work alongside? 
A: Yes! You would not believe. Actually, they just hired a new deputy and she’s a graduate of Tuskegee University. When you go off into your career you really do represent the race. If you are a good engineer and they realize your capabilities then, they are more likely to hire people that look like you. I see more black women than I do black men. In Safety we have more minorities but on the engineering side, I think it is more white male-dominated and I don't know why. I can speculate. To me, it seems like, as in any industry, it is partly who you know. 

Q: What are your thoughts on how black women are portrayed through the history of science? Who’s narratives are chosen to be shared? 
A: I can say at NASA I believe there is a sisterhood now. You see a lot of sistas working together. A lot of us are in sororities and other organizations outside of NASA and we see each other a lot. We look out for each other. I think Hidden Figures did a lot for us. Some people aren’t aware of the history and our history means a lot.

Reflection points: Here are some reflection points that I have taken away from the interviews. I am still working on thinking through the complex history and current existence of Black women at NASA, but both of these interviews were intriguing for different reasons and not only have challenged me to think in different ways but also have inspired me to continue listening to the narratives of Black women in STEM. 
  • Differences in the perception of NASA depending on what area they work and how high up they are 
  • Families have factored into career decisions
  • HBCU vs. PWI experience
  • Important to recognize other black women in the field and support each other 
  • Why was Hidden Figures so successful? 

1 comment: