Thursday, August 29, 2019

Cuba - Operation: Fly on the Wall

I was informed early on in my trip that I looked Cuban. I decided to use that as a competitive research advantage. Tourists and Cubans generally aren’t going to the same places, but I was able to test out what it was like to be a Cuban in Cuban spaces. One day in Cuba, I decided to walk around to all of the hospitals down in a central spot near the University of Havana. First I walked into UH itself and a guy sitting inside told me it was closed for the summer- 0/1. Next, I walked over to Hospital Pediátrico Borrás-Marfán. This time I walked in, awkwardly without a child in a pediatric hospital and walked around. The hallways were quiet but the ladies at the reception desk didn’t ask me any questions as I walked past them and into the building. After snapping some extremely discreet photos, I went on my way. Across the street, I noticed a drug dispensary. I walked inside and sat down with the rest of the people waiting for their meds and appreciated the opportunity to truly be a fly on the wall. Next, I headed out and kept walking. I noticed the National Institute of Radiology and Oncology was coming up. I loitered outside for a few moments nervous to go in and eventually decided to go ahead and head in. Again, there was no security and no one asking questions. The hospital was busy with patients and staff hustling and bustling. I wandered the halls until I came to the cafeteria and peeked inside. I proceeded to read signs on the walls and explore the second floor. When I stepped back outside into the sunlight, I realized I’d been holding my breath. I had seen the inside of a real Cuban hospital. I’ve always been an explorer and risk-taker, but this was a new level. 


At the end of my hospital excursion and Operation: Fly on the Wall, I came across a pharmacy- museum. This was a place where pharmaceuticals were being sold but also a place where old instruments were on display. It was like a medical science instrument display. It was right up my history of science alley.  

Measuring Beakers

Hospital Pediátrico Borrás-Marfán




Hospital Hermanos Ameijerias

National Institute of Radiology and Oncology



No comments:

Post a Comment